According to the National Association of Realtors Annual Profile of Buyer’s Home Feature Preferences, buyers want:
- Central Air Conditioning
- Garage (2 or more spaces)
- Walk-in closet in master bedroom
- Backyard/play area
- Cable/Satellite TV-ready
- High-speed Internet Access
- Separate shower enclosure in master/main bath
- Home less than 10 years old
What do home buyers in Denver want?
- Central Air Conditioning is a maybe, or rather that depends. In the city and the suburbs air conditioning is a favorite feature. However as one gets up into the higher elevations above Denver, air conditioning becomes less and less necessary.
- 2 Car Garage. Once again, that depends. Urban parking doesn’t require or should I say “allow” most home owners to have a 2 car garage. In urban areas designated street parking might be the ultimate cat’s meow. Of course travel a few miles to the ‘burbs and the desire holds true. A 2 car garage is the minimum standard for most homes. Of course when homes are priced over say $400k a 3 or 4 car garage is the minimum standard!
- Walk-in closet. No argument here. Inner city home owners would settle for a closet that is wide enough to fit modern day clothes hangers! Suburban home owners wince at the thought of not having proper storage for all their worldly goods.
- Backyard/play area. Dream on homeowners. Colorado has been “Californicated” the smaller the lot the bigger the smile on the developer/tax collector/water marshall. What we do well in Colorado are parks, open areas and recreation centers.
- Cable/Satellite TV-ready. no argument here. Homeowners have a variety of choices from cable to satellite dishes. To each his own delight!
- High-speed Internet access. Actually this amenity is right up there with “air” when it comes to necessity. Who can remember a world without it?
- Sparate shower enclosure in the master/main bath. Around these parts we call that a “5-piece bath”. Count ‘em; 1. toilet 2. double sinks 3. shower 4. tub. = 5 pieces in the bathroom. Most modern homes will have these features.
- Patio. Absolutely! Colorado sunshine is so delightful to soak up. We all enjoy the big bar-b-que out on the patio or deck.
- Fencing. Fido and kids need to have boundaries.
- Home less than 10 years old. It’s true selling a newer home is much easier than selling an older one. However many of our charming older homes have been updated to retain the charm and still present a modern face. Need I say they also sell quicker?
What else would you count as important in a home feature?
Personally, I like spacious, sunny rooms. Most of my time in spent in only a few rooms, so for me the more spacious the better. I can do without the areas of the home that are seldom used. Give me space where I spend my time and do away with everything else!
How about you?
About the Author
Kristal has been helping buyers and sellers in Colorado since 1984. She enjoys sharing her knowledge of the Metro Denver Real Estate market via blogging and in person while driving around the beautiful Rocky Mountain town of Denver! For fun, Kristal enjoys shooting things with a Canon. Visit Denver Photo Blog