Denver’s population is rich in cultural diversity. This means that black, Hispanic and Native American cultures have a vibrant presence in Denver. The citizens of Denver contribute more public funding to the arts than any other United States city.
The Colorado Symphony Orchestra can be seen from September to May at The Denver Performing Arts Complex (DPAC). The occasional Sunday afternoon "Casual Classics" concerts are very popular because of their low cost.
Opera Colorado can also be seen at DPAC. This is the only group in the United States that produces grand opera in the round. They have English translations of the words projected above their stage so you don’t feel lost. They hold kid’s opera workshops and have a road show of summer concerts that are all designed to create interest in opera.
The Colorado Ballet can also be seen at DCPA along with two other major modern dance companies that perform original pieces.
Cleo Parker Robinson Dance is a local multicultural group, and Kim Robards Dance employs international choreographers.
Denver has a variety of ethnic festivals throughout the year.
- Denver’s largest festival is the National Western Stock Show & Rodeo. It attracts over 400,000 cowboys every January. This event started in a tent (on the present day showgrounds) in 1906. It is now one of the largest rodeos and livestock shows. They have over 20 performances, parades, concerts and the opportunity to buy cowboy gear!
- Buffalo Bill’s Birthday Party, festivities held at his grave site on the summit of Lookout Mountain, 23 Feb, Buffalo Bill Museum, Lookout Mountain
- St Patrick’s Day Parade is in March.
- The annual March PowWow celebrates the Native American culture and features music, dance and storytelling.
- Cinco de Mayo, one of America’s largest celebrations of Latino culture, has food, music, dance and arts.
- The June International Buskerfest features jugglers, mime artists and comedians. They transform the 16th Street Mall into a outdoor theatre.
- The Cherry Creek Arts Festival, over the July 4th weekend, features street entertainers and gourmet food booths along with the arts and crafts exhibitions. You can find everything from photography to sculpture and jewelry.
- The Colorado Scottish Festival is in August.
- German Oktoberfest is in October.
- In September/October, the Colorado Performing Arts Festival has music, dance and theater outside DCPA.