There are many locations throughout the state of Colorado in which citizens have been exposed to asbestos. Asbestos is found in the ground as a naturally-occurring mineral and pollutant. Left behind by many industrial plants and military bases which are now abandoned, there are still dangers present which pose risks to citizens throughout the state. In the real estate industry, there are many things worth considering when remodeling, foreclosing or purchasing an older home. This is because homes and buildings built before 1980 still have a chance of containing asbestos materials. Citizens of Denver are becoming increasingly aware of asbestos’ harmful components.

Used throughout the 20th century as a major form of insulation and piping, asbestos garnered many uses due to its qualities as being heat and flame resistant. Asbestos fibers are thin and strong, and when inhaled by an individual can develop mesothelioma, a severe lung ailment caused by asbestos exposure. Several mesothelioma treatments are available; however, patient prognosis is usually poor and fatal. There are a number of factors that can impact how a person reacts to the disease and how their life span and life expectancy will be affected. These factors include latency period, age of diagnosis and cigarette smoking.

Organizations such as the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, assists businesses and schools to comply with laws regulating asbestos containing materials. The United Nations Environmental Program suggests using recycled building materials such as cotton fiber insulation because it can reduce yearly energy costs up to 35 percent.

The removal of asbestos from homes, public locations and places of work must be performed by trained abatement contractors, who work under license in their corresponding state. These professionals are trained in handling the dangerous material and come equipped with protective gear. Green options such as cotton fiber, cellulose and lcynene should be given consideration as replacements to asbestos.

Credit: Joe Lederman ~ Mesothelioma Cancer Center