According to the National Association of Realtors Annual Profile of Buyer's Home Feature Preferences, buyers want:
- Central Air Conditioning
- Garage (2 or more spaces)
- Walk-in closet in master bedroom
- Backyard/play area
- Cable/Satellite TV-ready
- High-speed Internet Access
- Separate shower enclosure in master/main bath
- Home less than 10 years old
What do home buyers in Denver want?
- Central Air Conditioning is a maybe, or rather that depends. In the city and the suburbs air conditioning is a favorite feature. However as one gets up into the higher elevations above Denver, air conditioning becomes less and less necessary.
- 2 Car Garage. Once again, that depends. Urban parking doesn't require or should I say "allow" most home owners to have a 2 car garage. In urban areas designated street parking might be the ultimate cat's meow. Of course travel a few miles to the 'burbs and the desire holds true. A 2 car garage is the minimum standard for most homes. Of course when homes are priced over say $400k a 3 or 4 car garage is the minimum standard!
- Walk-in closet. No argument here. Inner city home owners would settle for a closet that is wide enough to fit modern day clothes hangers! Suburban home owners wince at the thought of not having proper storage for all their worldly goods.
- Backyard/play area. Dream on homeowners. Colorado has been "Californicated" the smaller the lot the bigger the smile on the developer/tax collector/water marshall. What we do well in Colorado are parks, open areas and recreation centers.
- Cable/Satellite TV-ready. no argument here. Homeowners have a variety of choices from cable to satellite dishes. To each his own delight!
- High-speed Internet access. Actually this amenity is right up there with "air" when it comes to necessity. Who can remember a world without it?
- Sparate shower enclosure in the master/main bath. Around these parts we call that a "5-piece bath". Count 'em; 1. toilet 2. double sinks 3. shower 4. tub. = 5 pieces in the bathroom. Most modern homes will have these features.
- Patio. Absolutely! Colorado sunshine is so delightful to soak up. We all enjoy the big bar-b-que out on the patio or deck.
- Fencing. Fido and kids need to have boundaries.
- Home less than 10 years old. It's true selling a newer home is much easier than selling an older one. However many of our charming older homes have been updated to retain the charm and still present a modern face. Need I say they also sell quicker?
What else would you count as important in a home feature?
Personally, I like spacious, sunny rooms. Most of my time in spent in only a few rooms, so for me the more spacious the better. I can do without the areas of the home that are seldom used. Give me space where I spend my time and do away with everything else!
How about you?